If you are thinking of attending or have just attended your first meeting of Co-Dependents Anonymous, take heart, you are not alone. This renewal process is a gift of healing for us, by actively working the program of Co-Dependants Anonymous we can each realise a new joy, serenity and acceptance in our lives.
There are four parts to the CoDA program of recovery:
- Attending Meetings
- Sharing and Fellowship
- Working the Steps
A major part of recovery in any 12 step fellowship is attending meetings. At meetings members are able to share their experiences, thoughts and feelings with the group. There is never any obligation to share if you do not wish to. Being able to speak and be heard without interruption or comment is a powerful healing experience for many people, as is listening to others in the same way.
Recovery is something we cannot do alone.
It is recommended that you attend at least six CODA meetings in relatively quick succession before deciding if CoDA is right for you. If you are able, it is recommended that you attend more than one CoDA Group as part of your six meetings.
The ''God'' as mentioned in the Steps is the Higher Power entirely of your own understanding; CoDA is a spiritual not a religious program and has no denominational, religious or other affiliations.
General enquires can be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What Shall I Do Now?
- Attend meetings - 2 a week if possible.
- When at meetings listen without judgement to others' sharing and for the similarities in their story to your own.
- When you feel safe, start to share in meetings. Speak as honestly as you are able about your feelings, your story and what you are discovering about your self.
- Talk to other members after meetings about what brought you to CoDA, ask members to share their experience of Co-Dependency and their own path or recovery with you.
- Read the literature on sponsorship and then look for a Sponsor or Co-Sponsor to start working the CoDA program with. It is suggested that you start with ‘The First 14 Days”
- Ask other members for their phone numbers and make 'outreach' calls
- Read some CoDA literature, the CoDA Blue Book is a good place to start.
- Begin to identify your own Co-Dependency patterns and talk to other members about them. Write about your feelings and thoughts.
Co-Dependents Anonymous Australasian Service Office:
41/1 Regent Street
Redfern NSW 2016
Phone or text; 0417 995 111
CoDA Literature & CDs;
Are available for purchase through your local meeting.
For those without a local meeting CODA literature & CDs can be ordered from the CoDA office.
Phone 02 9267 7150 or email Iit.email@example.com for a literature order form.
Suggested Literature for Newcomers: Common Threads of Codependency Booklet; Welcome Kit for Newcomers, The First 14 Days Booklet, The Co-Dependant Anoymous Book ( The CoDA main text) , Sponsorship Pamphlet & Handbook, CoDA DVD ( Audio recordings of CoDA speakers)
www.coda.org is the International website of CODA. It contains many useful resources and links to other CODA groups' websites and the Co-NNections online newsletter.
www.codependentsanonymous.org.au Provides information for members in Australia and New Zealand such as meetings details & contacts for those wishing to start new CODA groups.
Here is a list of other CoDA Websites worldwide Click Here;
There are CoDA meetings available online. For newcomers to the group just email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
To logon to a meeting just add skypecodahow to your contact list.
Skype Monday 1pm GMT and 9pm GMT
Skype Tuesday 8am and 11pm GMT
Skype Thursday 9am GMT
No meeting in your area?
If you cannot get to a regular CoDA meeting it is suggested that you attend open meetings of other 12 Steps fellowships, for example Alanon, S.L.A.A. or A.A. This will help you gain an understanding of how recovery works, while using CoDA literature to work your own program of recovery from Co-Dependency. Also consider starting a new CoDA meeting, a new meeting starter pack is available for this purpose from the Sydney CoDA office or by clicking here.